Amalfi is the main town of the beautiful coast and located mid-way between the larger towns of Salerno and Sorrento.
It is truly stunning with its multi-colored houses and plenty of monuments among of those the Sant ’Andrea cathedral is the masterpiece. The religious complex is the major attraction of the town and the Piazza del Duomo is one of the main places to visit.
You should not miss the promenade, browse through the shops, and take a walk along the beach.
The glorious history of Amalfi has undoubtedly started with the settlements of Romans in the area, even though his initial inhabitants should be related to the Magna Grecia period. The maximum power of the town was when Amalfi became the first Italian Maritim Republic between the IX and ended at the beginning of the XII century. In a similar period, other Italian Maritime Republics started their glorious times like Venice, Genoa, and Pisa. They all contend against each other in commerce and power. Those ancient competitions is still remembered today and celebrated with a regatta contest that is held in shift of one per year, in each town.
The town of Amalfi has developed in the past the paper crafting, thanks to the torrent that runs in the middle of the town. That industry with the modernization has rapidly and almost disappeared. The town still preserves the Cartiere (Paper Mills) buildings and what is was, its flourish valley or Valle Delle Cartiere which enchants thousands of tourists yearly that walk the trails and reach by walk the towns of nearby Scala and Ravello climbing up through one of the most uncontaminated and beautiful Italian environment.
Today’s Amalfi most prosperous sector is the tourism. Hotels and restaurants, bars, gelato vendors, pizza makers and the best pastry stores are in town. Do not miss the culinary experience Amalfi offers as you will not be disappointed. And lots of little stores are there for tourists that are willing to take back home a little souvenir of this paradisiac Region.
Download HERE the Map of the town of Amalfi and its surrounding areas !
For more information on the area, please use the official Amalfi Tourist board website, HERE!
The following are the main Amalfi tourists sites
Religious Sites Church and Museum
Cattedrale di sant'Andrea
The main Church of Amalfi in the name of the apostle Sant’ Andrea, is the main religious building in town. With its marvelous stone stairs leading to the church and the magnificent façade with its strategical location, make it the must visit and starting point day of the many tourists the town attracts, daily.
The current baroque style was imposed by the Archbishop Michele Bologna at the beginning of the 18th century, and it has almost cancelled the original Romanesque structure. The polychrome marble, the richly paneled ceiling with a large canvas exalting the figure of Andrew the Apostle, offer the visitor a wonderful inspiring spectacle.
The four large canvases in the vault of the central nave were executed at the beginning of the 18th century by Andrea D’Aste, a follower of Francesco Solimena, and they represent scenes from Saint Andrew’s life: The Flagellation; The Crucifixion; The Miracle of the Manna and The Deposition in the Tomb. The painting of The Crucifixion of St. Andrew above the main altar is by the same artist, but the two in the transept, representing The Vocation and The Miraculous Draught of Fish, were executed by a Neapolitan painter called Giuseppe Castellano. At the centre of the liturgical area is the 14th century marble sarcophagus of the Archbishop Pietro Capuano, which is utilized as the “new” post-Council altar and is flanked by two candelabras made from Solomonic columns decorated with spiraling 13th century mosaics. During the 17th century two marble pulpits were built in proximity to the main apse, re-using marble slabs decorated with mosaics from the ancient ambone.
Cloister of Paradise - cemetery
Chiostro del Paradiso
It is the ancient cemetery of the nobles of Amalfi that was built between 1266 and 1268.
Art with its beauty makes us feel closer to God.
Here we enjoy the charm of these unmistakable intertwined arches, supported by 120 slender columns, with a strong taste of the East.
Along the left gallery of the cloister, white peristyle from whose arches the greenery of the small Mediterranean garden transpires inside, various sarcophagi are exhibited, among which those depicting the Rape of Proserpina and the Union of Mars with Rhea Silvia of the second half stand out. from the 2nd century AD C.
On the same side you can admire the marble fragments with mosaic decorations of the ancient ambos of the cathedral, commissioned by Archbishop Dionisio (1174-1202) and made by artists active in Amalfi itself. Continuing the visit, we can stop for a moment at the center of its north side to resume a characteristic shot of the cathedral bell tower
(1180-1276) with the bell tower decorated with polychrome majolica in Moorish style.
On the background you can see the funerary chapels of the cloister: of great interest the one with the fresco of Christ Pantocrator from the second half of the thirteenth century and immediately after that with the Crucifixion attributed to Roberto d'Oderisio, the main painter active in Campania in the mid-fourteenth century , who was an effective popularizer of the Giottesque style.
Continue to the end to enter the basilica of the Crucifix passing through the noble Corsano chapel with the interesting 14th century fresco cycle, unfortunately very deteriorated, attributed to the Cavallini workshop, which includes the Dormitio Virginis and hosts of saints and prophets.
Museo della Carta
Paper Mill museum
The Amalfi Paper Museum is housed in an old paper mill dating back to the 13th century.
This structure, unique in the world, offers its visitors the magic of going back in time and experiencing directly the ancient techniques of paper production with guided tours in Italian, English, German, French and Spanish.
You can admire the centuries-old machines used in the production of handmade paper: the old wooden hammers which, driven by a hydraulic wheel, beat and shred the linen, cotton and hemp rags previously collected in the mighty stone piles; the Dutch machine installed in the museum paper mill on 18 November 1745; the 18th century presses used to remove excess water from the sheets; the paper machine in circles.
All these machines for the production of paper have been restored to working order, and are operated during the visit with the strength and power of the waters of the Canneto stream to make you relive the emotion of creating a sheet of the precious handmade paper of Amalfi.